- This event has passed.
Cannabis: Retail, Economic Development & Environment Sustainability
November 25, 2020 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
About this Event
On the second anniversary of legalization of recreational cannabis for adult use, the Canadian Chamber of Commerce’s National Cannabis Working Group is launching an industry-led review of the Cannabis Act to provide recommendations on how the government should improve Canada’s federal legislative and regulatory frameworks for cannabis.
The Cannabis Act, which came into force on October 17, 2018, requires that the Minister of Health initiate a review of the Act by October 17, 2021, three years following the legalization of recreational cannabis for adult use. In advance of the federal government’s review of the Act, the National Cannabis Working Group will be leading an industry review of the legislation.
The review of the Act will be led by Eric Foster, Partner and Leader of the Dentons Canada cannabis practice. Dentons is a global leader in the cannabis industry, providing cannabis industry stakeholders with the full suite of legal services they need in order to grow, protect, operate and finance their businesses, both in Canada and internationally.
The review will be supported by Davies under the leadership of partner, Elisa Kearney, a recognized lawyer in the cannabis sector. Davies is at the forefront in supporting licensed producers, retailers, multi-national corporations, commercial banks and investment banks in all aspects of the fast-growing cannabis industry.
The review will commence via a series of virtual roundtable consultations starting this fall where industry leaders will debate and share ideas on various elements of the Act. The consultation dates are
• Health Canada service standards, licensing and regulatory burden – Wednesday, November 11, 2020
• Retail, Economic development, retail and environmental sustainability – Wednesday, November 25, 2020
• Marketing, promotions and labelling– Wednesday, December 9, 2020
• Medical Cannabis and Cannabis Health Products – Wednesday, January 20, 2020
• Illicit market and anti-money laundering – Wednesday, February 3, 2020
• Ancillary businesses – Wednesday, February 17, 2020
Registration links will be available shortly.